1. July 7, 2006: Invited by the Delegation of the European Commission to China, Prof. Xu Xianming, President of China University of Political Science and Law (CUPL), visited the embassy and had a friendly meeting with Ambassador Serge Abou, lasting one and a half hours. Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Yue Liling, and Mr. Zhang Wei (the secretary of Prof. Xu) from CUPL as well as Ms. Maria Rosa Sabbatelli (the programme official from the Delegation of the EC) also attended the meeting. Prof. Xu introduced the many recent achievements of CUPL and pointed out that the ECSL Project is of great significance to China, emphasizing CUPL's hopes that the project will be a big success. Prof. Xu also expressed our interest in the bidding, hoping for more information about the project from the Delegation. The Ambassador Serge Abou warmly welcomed the visit by Prof. Xu and offered to introduce the blueprints for ECSL. The Ambassador expressed an enthusiasm to begin the project in 2008 when Olympic Games will be held. Afterwards, Ms. Sabbatelli introduced the design plans for the ECSL project, the rules for the bidding competition and the anticipated timeline for the bidding process. Prof. Fang Liufang asked questions about some of the technical details concerning the integration of the Chinese JM and European LL.M programmes.
2. January 29, 2007: The People's Republic of China, represented by the Ministry of Commerce, and the European Community, represented by the European Commission, signed the Financial Agreement (2006/018-029), Appendix 1: General Conditions and Appendix 2: Technical and Administrative Provisions for Centralized Projects, with the purpose of establishing ECSL. The basic structure, manner of cooperation and mission of ECSL were all settled in the agreement.
3. April 2007: The Preparation Team for the ECSL Project was established with Prof. Xu Xianming, President of CUPL, acting as the team leader and convener. The members of the Preparation Team were: Mr. Zhang Fusen (Member of the Standing Committee of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), Director of the Committee for Social and Legal Affairs of CPPCC, and former Minister of the Ministry of Justice); Prof. Shi Yajun (Secretary of the Communist Party Committee of CUPL); Prof. Zhu Yong (Vice President of CUPL), Researcher Zhang Liuhua (Vice President of CUPL); Prof. Zhang Baosheng (Vice President of CUPL); and Prof. Fang Liufang (from CUPL). The Preparation Team appointed Prof. Fang Liufang to be in charge of daily affairs, overseeing CUPL's bid for the project, project coordination and its application to establish ECSL.
4. April 5, 2007: President Xu Xianming, Vice President Zhu Yong, Prof. Fang Liufang, and Prof. Xu Lan met with Dr. Jürgen Lüthje (former President of the University of Hamburg (UHH)) and Prof. Dr. Hinrich Julius (from Deutsche Gesellschaft f?hnische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ)). At this meeting, the two parties agreed to jointly establish a consortium to pursue the right to implement the ECSL Project and discussed many details of the issue.
5. April 17, 2007: President Xu Xianming and Vice President Zhang Baosheng held a meeting with Prof. Zhu Suli (Dean of Law School, Peking University) and Prof. Wang Liming (Dean of Law School, Renmin University), expressing CUPL's willingness to jointly apply for the ECSL Project. President Xu Xianming stated that the first step towards the realization of ECSL is cooperation, and that without cooperation the project can not start at all. He emphasized that the ECSL Project is a platform for cooperation and the exchange of legal education between China and the international community, and that no matter which university in China would win the bidding competition CUPL would always wish it great success. He also said that if CUPL were to win the rights to the project he would welcome the participation of CUPL's peer institutions.
6. April 17, 2007: The European Commission published the Guidelines for Grant Applicants Responding to the Call for Proposals for 2007 (EuropeAid/125527/L/ACT/CN; hereinafter referred to as the "Guidelines") on its website. As prescribed in the Guidelines, a consortium composed of one or more Chinese universities and European universities representing various legal traditions shall be established, with one of the European universities being selected as the Beneficiary who will bid for the project representing the entire consortium and be the recipient of the EU Fund. The deadline for submission of project proposals was September 2007.
7. May 18, 2007: Representatives from CUPL and Renmin University attended the Information Session held by the Delegation of the European Commission to China. The representatives from CUPL attending the Information Session were: Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Yue Liling, Prof. Xu Lan and Dr. Qi Hong; Prof. Julius from GTZ was also in attendance. Prof. Fang Liufang asked questions about the integration of the Chinese JM and European LL.M programmes and financial affairs.
8. May 21, 2007: The Chinese National Prosecutors College sent written reply to CUPL, expressing its wish to take part in the consortium.
9. May 21, 2007: The Discussion Meeting for Faculty with Educational Backgrounds from European Countries was held on the Changping Campus of CUPL, with Vice President Gao Huanyue hosting the meeting. President Xu Xianming introduced CUPL's general situation of academic exchange with European countries. He also announced officially that our university would apply to host the ECSL Project, expressing his hopes that faculty with overseas experience would contribute their efforts to the application activities. Prof. Fang introduced the content of the ECSL Project, its method and the application process for research programmes.
Faculty attending the meeting were: (1) Law School: Cheng Chunming; (2) Civil, Commercial and Economic Law School: Fei Anling, Luo Li, Li Song, Tian Shiyong and Zhu Keni; (3) International Law School: Li Juqian, Xu Haoming, and Zhu Lijiang; (4) College of Criminal Justice: Yue Liling, Yu Zhigang and Zheng Xu; (5) School of Foreign Languages: Xu Lan; (6) Chinese-Germany Institute of Law: Mi Jian, Ding Qiang, Xu Yan, Zhang Tong and Zhang Xuezhe; (7) School of Politics and Public Administration: Pan Xiaojuan; (8) Institute of Human Rights and Humanism: Ban Wenzhan and Qi Yanping; (9) Research Base for the Governmental Rule of Law: Gao Jiawei and Wang Jingbo; (10) Center for Law and Economics: Zhang Qing; (11) President's Office: Zhang Wei; (12) Institute of Comparative Law: Yuan Yi; (13) Division of International Exchange Affairs: Xu Chuanxi; (14) Preparation Team for the ECSL Project: Fang Liufang and Qi Hong.
Cheng Chunming, Xu Haoming, Mi Jian, Yue Liling, Zhang Qing, Fei Anling and Yu Zhigang all spoke at the meeting. All of the attendants were actively involved in intense and honest discussion, and throughout the meeting provided their opinions and suggestions on issues related to the bidding procedures, problems and issues to be confronted and the specific efforts they would like to provide. The focus of the discussion was how to carry out proposed research programmes during the application process. At the end of the meeting, a feasible application scheme was reached. After the meeting, President Xu Xianming arranged dinner for the attended faculty, and all continued to discuss the ECSL Project throughout.
10. June 2007: Early in the month, the Law School at Tsinghua University clearly expressed their desire to join in the consortium. Tsinghua Law School proceeded to report on the general situation of the project to Tsinghua University for approval. From the date of publication of the Guidelines for Grant Applicants Responding to the Call for Proposals for 2007 (EuropeAid/125527/L/ACT/CN), UHH sought to recruit universities in order to form a Consortium, and the activity has now reached a significant stage.
11. June 13, 2007: President Xu Xianming hosted the Special Meeting on the Competition for the ECSL Project. The general conditions of CUPL's bid were established: ECSL would be located on the Changping Campus of CUPL, and some rooms in Mingfa Building and the International Exchange Center would be assigned to ECSL for its teaching and office use.
12. July 1 to 7, 2007: Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Wang Chengguang (Dean of Law School at Tsinghua University), Mr. Chen Deyi (Vice President of National Prosecutors College), Prof. Zheng Yongliu (Law School at CUPL), and Prof. Xu Lan (Vice Dean of the School of Foreign Languages at CUPL) attended the working meeting of the Consortium held in Hamburg, Germany.
Representatives from the following institutions also attended the meeting: (1) the University of Hamburg, Germany; (2) the University Autonoma Madrid, Spain; (3) the University of Bologna, Italy; (4) Robert-Schuman University, France; (5) the National Foundation of Sciences Politiques, France; (6) the University of Lund, Sweden; (7) Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium; (8) Eötvös Loránd, Hungary; (9) Central European University, Hungary; (10) Trinity College Dublin, Ireland; (11) Max-Planck Institute for Comparative and Private International Law, Germany; (12) Bucerius Law School, Germany; (13) Hamburg Association of Lawyers.
The following agreements were reached at the meeting: (1) ECSL would be located on the Changping Campus of CUPL; (2) the relationship between the Consortium and the partners of the jointly operated school; (3) the basic structure; (4) the agenda.
13. July 7, 2007: The Coordination Meeting for the ECSL Project was held by the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges of Ministry of Education in the North Building. Vice President Zhu Yong, Prof. Fang Liufang, representatives from Renmin University and officials from relevant departments and bureaus attended the meeting. During the meeting, policy questions were posed by representatives from both CUPL and Renmin University in accordance with their respective interests, including: the Co-Deans structure; the integration of the Chinese JM and European LL.M programmes; contributions and the evaluation of contributions; and, optional measures in the event of missing the enrollment time. Officials from the Ministry of Education were on hand to address the above questions.
14. August 15, 2007: Vice President of CUPL Zhu Yong discussed the ECSL project with Mr. Huai Xiaofeng, President of the National Judges College. Prof. Zhu Yong conveyed the EU's opinion that both the National Prosecutors College and the National Judges College were eligible to join multiple consortiums competing for the ECSL Project. Prof. Zhu Yong invited the National Judges College to join the UHH-CUPL Consortium, and Mr. Huai Xiaofeng accepted CUPL's invitation.
15. August 21, 2007: Daniela Jänicke from the University of Hamburg wrote to all partners requiring that they sign a letter of commitment before August 28, 2007. She also informed partners that the proposal (application form) would be circulated on 31st August 2007.
16. August 23 to 26, 2007: Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Xu Lan and Dr. Qi Hong, members of the Working Team for the ECSL Project at CUPL, held a working meeting with representatives from UHH, Prof. Monika Auweter-Kurtz (President of UHH), Prof. Trute and Ms. Daniela Jänicke. The two parties negotiated the philosophy of ECSL, its governance structure, the degree programme, the professional training programme and the research and consultancy programmes. Prof. Wang Chenguang (Dean of Law School, Tsinghua University), Prof. Shi Shaoxia (President of the National Prosecutors College) and Mr. Zhang Wei (Vice President of the National Judges College) attended the meeting discussing issues related to the professional training programme. On Aug. 26, Prof. Xu Xianming, President of CUPL, and Prof. Zhu Yong, Vice President of CUPL, met with the delegation of UHH. During the meeting, Prof. Xu signed the Partnership Statement on behalf of CUPL, a necessary document in the competition for the ECSL Project.
17. August 2007: At the end of the month, 16 universities from China and Europe signed the Partnership Statement, officially forming the Consortium represented by UHH to join in the competition for the EU grant invested in ECSL. Members in the UHH Consortium were: (1) the University of Hamburg, Germany; (2) China University of Political Science and Law, China; (3) Tsinghua University, China; (4) China National Prosecutors College, China; (5) the University Autonoma Madrid, Spain; (6) the University of Bologna, Italy; (7) Robert-Schuman-University, France; (8) the National Foundation of Sciences Politiques, France; (9) the University of Lund, Sweden; (10) Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium; (11) Trinity College Dublin, Ireland; (12) Central European University, Hungary; (13) Eötvös Loránd, Hungary; (14) the University of Maastricht, The Netherlands; (15) Jagiellonian University of Krakow, Poland; (16) the University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
18. September 3, 2007: President Xu Xianming made a special trip to visit Mr. Zhang Fusen (Member of the Standing Committee of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), Director of the Committee for Social and Legal Affairs of CPPCC, former Minister of the Ministry of Justice) who was at that time visiting Guizhou Province. President Xu Xianming reported on the general situation of the application for ECSL and kindly asked Mr. Zhang Fusen to accept the nomination of CUPL as the Chairman of the Joint Managerial Committee. Mr. Zhang Fusen accepted the nomination.
19. September 3, 2007: CUPL received the draft application form from Daniela Jänicke without annexes.
20. October 11, 2007: An Evaluation Delegation from the EU visited the Changping Campus of CUPL to inspect the educational conditions. President Xu Xianming introduced the evolution of CUPL, its teaching facilities, faculty resources and the surroundings of CUPL, and answered questions posed by the Delegation. During the inspection tour, the Delegation visited the library, the International Exchange Center, laboratories and the Mingfa Building.
21. November 14, 2007: Prof. Zhu Yong, Vice President of CUPL, Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Zheng Yongliu and Prof. Xu Lan met with Dr. Michael Schaefer, the German Ambassador to China. Prof. Wang Chenguang from Tsinghua University, Mr. Chen Deyi from the National Prosecutors College, Judge Dong Liping (Assistant to the President of the National Judges College) and Prof. Julius from GTZ also attended the meeting. Prof. Zhu Yong introduced the Chinese partners in the UHH Consortium for the ECSL Project to Ambassador Schaefer. The ambassador expressed his concerns and his support for the UHH-CUPL Consortium for the ECSL Project.
22. November 26, 2007: The UHH-CUPL Consortium was awarded the right to implement the ECSL Project. UHH, representing the Consortium, signed the Grant Contract with the European Commission. According to this Contract, the European Commission would contribute 17,512,574.64 Euros over 5 years to establish ECSL on the Changping Campus of CUPL. According to the Grant Contact, January 1 2008 was both the date of the official launch of the ECSL Project and the date of implementation for the 2008 Financial Year's Budget.
23. November 28, 2007: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao attended the 4th EU-China Business Summit and delivered a significant speech. He made the following remarks:The China Europe International Business School(CEIBS) has become the cradle of numerous excellent business personnel. We expect the upcoming ECSL to foster a large number of legal talents with a good command of both Chinese and Western laws.This signaled the official announcement launching the ECSL Project on behalf of the Chinese government.
24. December 7, 2007: The University of Hamburg signed the Grant Contract with the EU Commission (ASIE/2007/146-573).
25. December 9 to 16, 2007: A delegation from the University of Hamburg, Including Professor Trute, Armin Hatje, Daniela Jänicke and Ninon Colneric, visited Beijing. Daniela Jänicke gave five originals of the Grant Contract to CUPL including Annex III on the “Budget for the Action and the Expected sources of funding”.
On December 12, German Ambassador Dr. Michael Schaefer invited the Delegation of UHH and Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Zheng Yongliu, Prof. Xu Lan and Dr. Qi Hong to a congratulatory dinner to celebrate the successful bid from the UHH-CUPL consortium.
On December 13, the UHH Delegation attended the Preparatory Working Meeting on the Professional Training Programme of ECSL. Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Shi Shaoxia, Prof. Yang Yingze (Vice President of the National Prosecutors College) and Mr. Wang Baosen (Director of the Department of Teaching Affairs, National Judges College) attended the meeting. The Beijing Arbitration Commission and the Beijing Association of Lawyers also sent representatives to the meeting.
On December 14, Ambassador Serge Abou invited Mr. Zhang Fusen and representatives from UHH and CUPL for lunch. At that meeting, the ambassador reviewed the conception, negotiation, contract, and the whole competition process of the ECSL Project, offering high praise for the contributions of Mr. Zhang Fusen. Mr. Zhang Fusen also thanked the ambassador for his creative spirit and cooperation demonstrated while promoting the project and gave his best wishes to ECSL. Ambassador Serge Abou and Mr. Zhang Fusen respectively congratulated the UHH - CUPL Consortium for its winning bid, offering their thoughts and suggestions on the preparation of ECSL. Vice President of CUPL Zhu Yong, on behalf of CUPL, thanked everyone who presented for their support and made a commitment that CUPL will quickly begin its application seeking the permission to establish the sino-foreign jointly operated school.
Representatives from CUPL and UHH continued to discuss the details of the application for permission to establish a sino-foreign jointly operated school on December 15 and 16.
26. December 21, 2007: Mr. Zhang Fusen and President Xu Xianming arranged a meeting with President Gu Binglin of Tsinghua University to report on the outcome of the competition for the ECSL Project and express its appreciation for the support from Tsinghua University. President Xu stated that he would feel honored if Tsinghua University were to join CUPL as a partner in the project. Following this, President Xu sent a letter to President Gu Binglin to restate CUPL's willingness to have Tsinghua University as a partner.
27. January 28 to 30, 2008: the 1st ECSL General Assembly Meeting was held in Hamburg, Germany.
The meeting approved the nominations by the partners for the members of the Joint Managerial Committee (JMC) in consensus. The members of the JMC as announced are:
Mr. ZHANG Fusen (Member of the Standing Committee of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), Director of the Committee for Social and Legal Affairs of CPPCC, former Minister of the Ministry of Justice), Co-Chair of the JMC with Chinese nationality;
Prof. XU Xianming (President and professor of CUPL);
Prof. FANG Liufang (Professor of CUPL);
Prof. WANG Chenguang (Dean of Law and professor, Tsinghua University), Chinese partner with CUPL;
Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Trute (Dean of Law and professor, UHH), European Co-Chair of the JMC;
Prof. Dr. Ninon Colneric (Professor and former Judge of the Court of Justice of the European Communities);
Prof. Dr. Danièle Alexandrè (Professor of Robert-Schuman-University, France);
Prof. Dr. Javier Diez-Hochleitner (Dean of Law and professor, University Autónoma Madrid, Spain)
The JMC approved the proposal to have Prof. Fang Liufang nominated by CUPL and Prof. Ninon Colneric nominated by UHH as the Co-Deans of ECSL.
The meeting also fixed the constitution of sub-committees and discussed the nomination of the Advisory Board.
The following representatives from the Chinese partners attended this meeting: (1) Representatives from CUPL: Mr. Zhang Fusen, Prof. Zhu Yong, and Prof. Fang Liufang; (2) Representatives from Tsinghua University: Prof. Shen Weixing and Prof. Chen Weizuo; (3) Representatives from the National Prosecutors College: Dr. Li Jiayi and Dr. Zhang Youping.
28. February 12, 2008: Presentation of the ECSL at the Hanse-Office , the Joint Representation of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein to the European Union, in Brussels, Belgium.
Speeches, an ECSL-exhibition, and an ECSL-film were presented by the project coordinator, Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Trute (University of Hamburg, Faculty of Law, Germany) and the project partner Prof. Dr. Javier Diez-Hochleitner (University AutaMadrid, Spain). A keynote speech was given by Mr. Patrick Child (European Commission, External Relations and European Neighbourhood Policy), organisation and overall presentation by Mr. Roland Freudenstein (Hanse-Office).
29. February 18, 2008: Presentation of the ECSL at the Representation of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg to the Federation of German Lander Berlin, Germany. Title of the event: The Europe-China School of Law - A model for the future or "brain drain forte". Speeches given by the project coordinator, Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Trute (University of Hamburg, Faculty of Law) and the project partner Prof. Dr. Daniele Alexandre (University Robert Schuman, Strasbourg, France). Further speeches were given by Senator Jgrg Drager, Ph.D., Senator for Science and Research of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, and State Secretary Prof. Dr. Meyer-Krahmer of the federal Ministry for Education and Research. In addition, the ECSL exhibition and the ECSL-film were displayed.
30. February 25, 2008: The ECSL Agreement, Articles of Association, Application Form and other documents related to the establishment of ECSL were formally signed.
31. February 28, 2008: CUPL submitted its formal application to the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education, applying for the Formal Establishment of ECSL (overcoming the preparation phase). On the same day, CUPL submitted officially 12 sets of application documents to the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges of the Ministry of Education. The Beijing Municipal Commission of Education transferred the application to the Beijing Municipal Government in due process. On April 21st the Beijing Municipal Government gave its opinion on the establishment of ECSL and submitted it to the Ministry of Education for examination and approval: ECSL, funded by the EU, is a government project aimed at fostering special legal talents familiar with both eastern and western laws and promoting the development of China's legal system, which is in accordance with the requirements to develop education in Beijing and of great advantage to the country. Therefore, we hereby apply to your Ministry for the establishment of ECSL. On April 22nd the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education submitted the application of CUPL and a "Letter on the Application for Establishment of ECSL at CUPL issued by the Beijing Municipal Government" to the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges of the Ministry of Education. Throughout the entire process of the establishment of ECSL, CUPL always maintained close contact with the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges of the Ministry of Education.
32. March 28, 2008: China Education and Research Network Information Center informed the Preparation Team of CESL that the domain name had been registered on the CERNIC WHOIS database. CESL of CUPL will run its own website with the address< 126.96.36.199>.
33. April 25, 2008: Mr. Jose Emmanuel Barroso, President of the European Commission, told Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao during his visit to Beijing that he would like to officially inaugurate ECSL on the occasion of the 7th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) meeting in October 2008. Premier Wen Jiabao responded that if President Barroso were to attend the Opening Ceremony of ECSL then he would accompany him. On April 28th Ambassador Serge Abou sent a letter to Minister Zhou Ji of the Ministry of Education to report the conversation between President Barroso and Premier Wen Jiabao.
34. April 26, 2008: At the Europe Market (Europamarkt) organised annually by the Senate of Hamburg, the ECSL was present with a booth and informed visitors about the Europe-China School of Law, its aims and programmes.
35. May 4, 2008: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (Standing Member of the Politburo of the CPC Central Committee), accompanied by State Councilor Liu Yandong, Minister Zhou Ji of the Ministry of Education and the Director of the Research Office of State Council Wei Liqun, visited CUPL to spend Youth Day with its faculty and students. President Xu Xianming introduced the attended professors one by one. During the conversation with Prof. Fang Liufang, Premier Wen Jiabao said: "There are various dialogue mechanisms between China and EU, and dialogue concerning the rule of law is one of them"; "ECSL will have a ceremony in November, President Barroso said that he would like to attend, I replied that if he were to come, I would come too."
36. June 2 to 3, 2008: The Ministry of Education held the Evaluation Meeting on the Issue of the Establishment of ECSL.
Experts participating in the evaluation were: Prof. Tu Zhonghua (Director of the China Machinery Industry Education Association); Prof. Li Ming (Vice Dean of Law, Peking University); Prof. Wang Baoshu (Law School, Tsinghua University); Prof. Zhou Hong (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences); and Prof. Zhang Xiaojing (Vice President of Renmin University of China). Besides the experts, the following officials from the Ministry of Education and the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education attended the Evaluation Meeting: Vice Director Nie Ruilin (Policy Programming Office at the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges); Vice Director of the General Affairs Department Lu Xiaobin (Academic Degree Office of the State Council); Huang Xingsheng (Researcher at the Department of Policy Research and Legislation, Ministry of Education); Yang Qing (Associate Researcher at the Legislative Affairs Office of the Department of Development and Planning, Ministry of Education); Director Jing Degang (General Affairs Office of the Department of College Students, Ministry of Education); Director Qiu Xiaoping (Department of International Cooperation, Beijing Municipal Commission of Education); and Xu Zhuhua (from the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education).
President Xu Xianming reported the issues on the establishment of ECSL, compliance implementation and problems confronted. Prof. Fang Liufang and Prof. Colneric introduced the background, general situation of preparation, compliance implementation, financial system, governance structure, and enrollment and education scheme. The experts offered high praise and a positive assessment to the ECSL Project, as well as some honest suggestions.
37. June 19, 2008: A working meeting related on the ECSL Project was held at the Ministry of Education with Vice Director Xu Yongjie, Division Chief Sun Jianxue, Division Chief Fang Qingchao and Division Chief Nie Ruilin attending. CUPL sent Prof. Fang Liufang and Prof. Xu Lan to the meeting. Prof. Fang Liufang answered questions related to the ECSL Application raised by Mr. Nie Ruilin.
38. June 26, 2008: According to the principal elements of the June 19th Meeting, CUPL submitted supplementary documents related to the ECSL Application to give written answer to all of the questions raised by the Ministry of Education. On July 2nd and July 3rd, the enrollment plan, education plan, a sample of the Master Degree Diploma and its Chinese translation were submitted to the Ministry of Education.
39. July 16, 2008: Another working meeting regarding the ECSL Project was held at Ministry of Education with Vice Minister Zhang Xinsheng, Director of the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges Zhang Xiuqin, Vice Director Xu Yongji, Chief of the Policy Programming Office Nie Ruilin and Chief Sun Jianxue all in attendance. CUPL sent President Xu Xianming, Prof. Fang Liufang and Prof. Xu Lan to the meeting.
Director Zhang Xiuqin on behalf of the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges declared three opinions about ECSL: the name of the school, the constitution of the JMC and the design of the Co-Deans structure. President Xu Xianming answered questions respectively to present CUPL's point of view.
40. August 21 to 27, 2008: UHH Delegation composed of Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Trute, Prof. Dr. Ninon Colneric and Ms. Daniela Janicke paid a visit to Beijing to discuss the opening of CESL.
On August 22, Zhang Xinsheng, Vice Minister of the Ministry of Education (MOE), presided over a working meeting on the CESL Project. Those invited to attend the meeting included: Zhang Xiuqin, Director of the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges of the MoE; Xu Yongji, Deputy Director Inspector; Fang Qingchao, Section Chief; Mr. Serge Abou, Ambassador of the Delegation of the European Commission to China; Ms. Maria Rosa SABBATELL, Project Official; Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Trute, Dean of Law School of UHH; Prof. Dr. Ninon Colneric, and Ms. Daniela Janicke, from the UHH Delegation; Xu Xianming, President of CUPL; Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Xu Lan, Dr. Zhang Wei and Ms. Fang Juan. Both sides discussed details about the examination and approval of CESL Project, the enrollment and the opening. Leaders from the Ministry of Education brought forward their last suggestions and requests for the CUPL-UHH team regarding the name of the school, issues about the diploma, the Joint Managerial Committee and the Co-Dean system.
Finally, Vice-minister Zhang Xinsheng said: "we, both sides, are 'in the same boat' on the issue of CESL. Ambassador Abou is responsible for EU President Barroso, while I am responsible for the Chinese leaders. We need to work hard together to realize this agreement reached by our respective leaders. I believe that CESL will open up soon."
From August 23 to 25, the UHH Delegation and the representatives from CUPL held a meeting and respectively discussed the specific arrangements and details for enrollment, scholarships, professional training, financing, opening and so on. Those attending the meeting included: all members of UHH Delegation, Prof. Fang Liufang, Dr. Qi Hong, Dr. Wang Jun and Dr. Zhang Wei.
On the evening of August 24, Prof. Zhu Yong, Vice-President of CUPL, hosted a banquet for the UHH Delegation. Prof. Fang Liufang and Prof. Xu Lan attended the banquet. Prof. Zhu Yong thanked the team for their work, and expressed his best wishes to the CESL.
On August 25, Prof. Xu Xianming, President of CUPL, Prof. Fang Liufang, Prof. Xu Lan, Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Trute, Prof. Dr. Ninon Colneric and Ms. Daniela Janicke met Mr. Zhang Fushen (Member of the Standing Committee of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), Director of the Committee for Social and Legal Affairs of CPPCC, and former Minister of the Ministry of Justice). Mr. Zhang Fushen asked about the current situation of CESL and put forward suggestions and advice for further work. He also conveyed Abassador Abou's concerns about the project. After the meeting, Mr. Zhang Fushen had lunch with the representatives from CUPL and UHH together, and they carried out an extensive discussion on issues regarding various activities developed by CESL, the current state of Chinese and German legal education, the reform of legal education and etc.
41. On August 27, 2008: Doctor Qi Hong visited the Foreign Exchange Administrative Bureau of Beijing, along with the Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China, to discuss the foreign exchange deposit matters of the CESL Program. On 27th May, 2008, UHH remitted a portion of the EU Fund for 2008 (1 million Euros) into the account of CUPL at the Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China (after fees, 999,950 Euros). Early in June, 2008, Doctor Qi Hong submitted the documentary basis of the remittance to the Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China through the Financial Division of CUPL, and requested that the fund be deposited as soon as possible. The Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China received the confirmation letter as the essential document for deposit, though, after the confirmation letter was obtained, it still remained to be determined whether this was a regular program or a capital program. If the CESL case belonged to a capital program, then it would still need to be confirmed by the Foreign Exchange Administrative Bureau. The Foreign Exchange Administrative Bureau of Beijing had no objections to the deposit reasons stated by Doctor Qi Hong, however, it did not issue a formal conclusion.
On August 28, Doctor Qi Hong submitted the written affirmation and all relevant documents regarding the deposit to the Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China. The Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China agreed to deposit the fund.
At noon on August 29, in accordance with that day's higher point exchange rate (100 Euros = 1004.79 RMB) for Euro cash purchases by the Bank of China, Doctor Qi Hong ordered the Changping Sub-Branch of the Bank of China to sell all of the Euros that UHH had remitted to CUPL and then to deposit all of the proceeds (RMB) into the account of CUPL.